La Tour des Hollandais
La Tour des Hollandais (Royal Road, Old Grand Port) — a few meters from the Frederik Hendrik Museum lies the Tour Des Hollandais (Dutchmen’s Tower), an old watch tower. – It is a vestige of the French colonial period and was used as a vantage point to observe the bay of Grand Port for any incoming ships. The security of the colony was particularly of great concern to the French. Attacks from the British to invade the island were more frequent and intimidating. In August 1810 a squadron of frigates from the British Royal Navy launched a battle, which in Mauritian history is known as the Naval Battle of Grand Port, to take possession of the port. The British, however, suffered heavy losses and were defeated.